Do you like to be inspired by quotes too? We thought we'd bring you a list of inspirational quotes about language learning.
Discover 20 encouraging quotes about languages and culture.
1. "Never make fun of someone who doesn't speak English proper. They already be speaking another language."
2. "Do you know what a foreign accent is? It's a sign of bravery."
3. "The limits of my language mean the limits of my world."
4. "Language is not a genetic gift, it is a social gift. Learning a new language is becoming a member of the club -the community of speakers of that language."
5. "Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom."
6. "To learn a language is to have one more window from which to look at the world."
7. "You can never understand one language until you understand at least two."
8. "No man should travel until he has learned the language of the country he visits. Otherwise he voluntarily makes himself a great baby, so helpless and so ridiculous."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. "When you grow up in a family of languages, you develop a kind of casual fluency, so that languages, though differently coloured, all seem transparent to experience."
10. "A different language is a different vision of life."
11. "Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things."
12. "Any time you think some other language is strange, remember that yours is just as strange, you’re just used to it."
13. "Learning a new language is becoming a member of the club – the community of speakers of that language."
14. "We should learn languages because language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly."
15. "With languages, you are at home anywhere."
-Edward De Waal
16. "Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."
17. "Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere."
18. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head.
If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."
❝Once upon a time there were two countries, at war with each other. In order to make peace after many years of conflict, they decided to build a bridge across the ocean. But because they never learned each other’s language properly, they could never agree on the details, so the two halves of the bridge they started to build never met. To this day the bridge extends far into the ocean from both sides, and simply ends half way, miles in the wrong direction from the meeting point. And the two countries are still at war.❞ - Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration
19. "Learn a language, and you’ll avoid a war."
20. "A language is not just words. It’s a culture, a tradition, a unification of a community, a whole history that creates what a community is. It’s all embodied in a language." -Noam Chomsky
There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all.
Don't hesitate to come back to this page to be inspired by these well-known quotes!
So which quote impressed you the most?
Want to learn learn a new language? Take a language course today and join an exclusive Facebook forum for students!